Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Right side done

I had an urge to do some painting and so decided to continue on with the building on the right - my stand-in for the Quebec Bank building.

Before getting on with painting I added a fourth floor that tried to capture the basic characteristics of the modern addition to the prototype. It's simply a box built up from 0.040" styrene sheet with styrene brick sheet glued on top along with some 0.020" styrene sheet scored to mimic concrete blocks. The windows are castings from Tichy Train Group.

The brick colour is a loose mixture of Model Master burnt sienna and Tamiya green acrylic paints, but just about any burnt sienna mixed with a darker green will give an acceptable result.

Once everything was painted, a thin wash of flat black was applied.




For the side wall I added a ghost sign from a photograph Vince generously provided. The sign advertises Hugh C. MacLean Publications, which was a publisher based in Toronto from 1909 to 1964. Vince's prototype photo is posted to his Instagram account - I need to add a link.

I resized the photo to fit, and then printed it on a piece of white decal paper. Copious amounts of MicroSet were used to get it to snuggle into the brickwork.

Those windows on the side wall don't look windowy because I closed them by gluing a piece of styrene brick sheet behind them. I also did that to all the windows and doors on the back wall. On this complex I'm mainly interested in the facade, and didn't want to spend much effort on detailing other areas, so I've taken a minimalist approach to side and back walls on the complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment