Saturday, May 16, 2020

From Machine Shop to Benzene Separation Plant

I think the 30Squares Media Empire is going to have to open an E. L. Moore research centre in England to supplement those in Virginia, Toronto, and Ottawa - not to mention all the great leads sent by readers worldwide - given all the excellent information Martin is sending me. This fascinating Pola 'Benzolabscheidung', which Google Translate tells me means 'Benzene Separation'*, that Martin found is clearly another variation on E. L. Moore's AHM Machine Shop kit. But, there's a little twist in this version: it looks like the back wall has been replaced with a front wall casting, and clearly the tar paper roof has been replaced with what looks like a tile job and a dangerously tilted chimney - well, I can't quite make out the roof covering, but it clearly isn't tar paper and skylights. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it's amazing the number of E. L. Moore kit variations there are out there.

*Benzene separation? OMG I hope that isn't some kind of residence behind the plant, and is that yellow double-decker bus in the background dropping off people nearby? Benzene is nasty stuff. Years ago I worked in a lab doing research on ways to separate oil from tar sands, and benzene was one of the solvents tested. We had to wear all kinds of serious PPE and follow very strict lab protocols for handing the stuff. I gave up chemistry after that and tried to find a sedate desk job where paper cuts and eye strain would be my main worries. I would not want to see how benzene is being handled in a re-purposed machine shop :-) 

4 comments:

  1. Times have changed to be more whimpy! I recall as a stamp collector in the 60s that benzine was used for soaking stamps off envelopes, not that I ever got that serious! No mention of PPE, not invented until the china virus scare. Certainly had to explain what it means to many people recently, the media trying to baffle the paying public, yet again.
    I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the actual kit to see the hidden parts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you could share some photos of the kit that would be great! The box top photo sort of obscures the main building with odds and ends - that column / ladder thing in the front left corner is especially weird.

      Delete
    2. A castoff from another kit? it does seem to be a mix of bits & pieces!
      Maybe it is very hot and the ladder serves to protect passers by - early elf 'n safety!
      It will be interesting to see if the roof chimney is meant to have had a heavy night, or the illustrator needs new glasses?

      Delete
    3. I suspect the chimney tilts because it was a part from some other kit whose roof had a different angle than the one used on this kit - again, as you point out, another in the bits and pieces from other kits that were used on this one.

      Delete