Sunday, May 24, 2020

Random Falconry

We're in the middle of a long stretch of sunshine and temperatures in the mid to high twenties - maybe hitting the low thirties next week - so there's not much layout work or modelling going on. Although there's lots of conversations, research, reading, and rambling happening along with the outside house maintenance and goofing off. The still unfinished old Ford Falcon based Ranchero has been staring at me from the table begging me to finish it, so I thought I'd oblige with painting and gluing a few parts.

Some further randomness:

Over at Moonbase Central there're are some pictures posted of a tin money box sold by Woolworth's in the '50s UK. As soon as I saw the pictures I knew I had one stashed somewhere in my parent's things. Up until that post I never gave it a second thought; funny how the mind works. I think it came from my grandmother's house. On the back in very small print it says Made in England and Burnett LTD London.


In the June '72 issue of Railroad Modeler E. L. Moore had an article called Uncle Peabody's Machine Shop where he suggests - I won't say says - Airfix machinery was used to outfit the building. That blurry b&w is a scan from the article of the building's interior with machines in full view. In the October '62 issue of Model Railroader Arthur E. Anderson says in an article called Structure for a Souvenir Factory that he fitted the interior with Airfix plastic dummy machinery. Did Airfix actually sell an accessory set of machine shop machinery? After some extensive digging, Martin and associates don't think so, and I can't find any indications either. Maybe E. L. Moore was wrong? Maybe the machines were actually part of some other Airfix kit? Maybe they were only sold under the Airfix brand in North America? If you know anything about these mystery machines please leave a comment.

4 comments:

  1. The tin money box from my post on Moonbase was indeed from the 50's but I suspect that the design was older as they were very commonplace in London, being seen in all my friends homes. Incidentally, mine came from a F.W. Woolworth store approx 200 yards from my local London Transport tram route 35 first stop at Highgate/Archway. That was also the Woolworth where I purchased my Airfix kits and there was never one containing machine shop equipment and those are not Airfix figures pictured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information! I'm puzzled why those two writers mentioned Airfix machinery - it's an interesting little mystery.

      Delete
    2. It's not the clearest of pictures but they may be metal pieces cast by Langley in the UK.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

      Delete