Monday, May 4, 2020

Office lights

I thought I'd spend sometime creating a lighted floor for the tower. As you can see, the 6th floor's got light. Now it just needs a tenant.

The floor is basically a box made from 0.040" styrene that slips into the 6th floor. It isn't glued in place so it can be taken out for adding or changing the scene. 

One important thing I should note is that all of the box's outside edges need to sanded a bit to round them off. If they remain sharp they catch on the building's walls and make it difficult to insert or remove the box. Also make sure to use the sanding stick to blunt the front corners of the box so they don't dig in while the box it being inserted.

The floors have been notched so that wiring can snake down the building through to the layout. Each floor box has a false back wall that hides the wiring.

I don't know if all the floors in this tower will be detailed and lit, although they will be on the centre Canadian Press building. This tower might only have the 6th and ground floors detailed. Decisions, decisions :-)

2 comments:

  1. Looking great! I like the openness of the floors, it leaves a lot of opportunities for interiors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Although, one of my concerns about adding interior details is that my own office experience was mainly one of crushing boredom and bureaucratic horror :-) I won't want to scare children......

      Delete