Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The Chair

Sliding down to my neck in the Morris chair (every shop should have a priority on one of these), I propped my feet on a box, lit a cigarette, and fell into sort of a reverie.
George Allen gets to thinking in Mifflinburg Mill, Model Railroader, July 1952.


No, my chair isn’t a Morris chair, it’s a 1960s Canadian knock-off of a 1960s Danish modern chair. And not a bad one at that. When I was a boy it sat in my father’s study and was my favourite place to sit when I went to chat with him. It came into my possession a couple of years ago and was looking quite forlorn in my basement, stashed away behind the snow tires. Last December I took it apart and Debra had the seat reupholstered as a Christmas present. 
When the good weather got here in the summer, I could finally take the frame parts outside and use a chemical stripper to remove the worn-out old finish. Those are some of the parts before they were refinished. I used a rubber mallet to carefully knock the frame apart.
I used Circa 1850 furniture stripper. Just follow the directions on the can. It does a fine job. One thing I'll mention is that it'll strip the varnish and lettering off that workmate as it did with mine when I accidentally slopped some around. 
The legs on the left are almost stripped and the unstripped seat frame is to the right.
Here's all the parts done and ready for re-assembly and refinishing. Once put back together the frame was treated to some oil that contained a light stain. 

I went to the window and took a worried look at the big flakes that were lowering over the winter’s afternoon gloom like a curtain. Shivering in disbelief, I returned to my Morris chair and settled back in solid comfort
George Allen seeks refuge from the winter in part 7 of the Tuxedo Junction saga, Model Railroader, April 1953.

I’m hoping the new old chair will work some magic on me this winter.

4 comments:

  1. Great chair, very nicely restored. I have a similar one with a similar story. It sat in my grandfather's study and has since come in to my possession, after some re-upholstering and TLC. It was always a favourite and has some great memories for me as well. Now it sits in my lounge and is a great spot for musing over the railway. I trust yours will serve you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. It's back in the basement now, but in the respectable area, nowhere near the snow tires anymore. I'm not sure where it eventually will live, by the layout is a good place to start.

      Delete
  2. Workmates, like well-traveled rolling stock,
    should never remain in pristine condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has been thoroughly initiated by this job!

      Delete