Monday, September 26, 2016

At the Mt. Lowe Observatory

I got my act together and finished the Mt. Lowe observatory - well, I finished the exterior, the interior still needs to be furnished.
There wasn't much left to do. I painted the interior, finished the roofs for the wings, added clear plastic to the window openings a la the E. L. Moore window construction method, installed exterior doors and steps, and added some trim along the bottom perimeter.
The real McCoy has that lower trim too. On the model it's just a scored 2 foot wide strip of 3x5 card that I painted with a mix of burnt umber and red paint. 
But once I got that trim glued on the whole look of the building popped. It seemed a lot less bland. More realistic too.
All the roofs come off so you can see what's going on inside. Right now nothing is and it's a big, blank canvas.
I need to put my thinking cap on and figure out how to build the telescope. That one above, the back of the El Camino Estrella, was built up from styrene tubes and some leftover 1/24 scale model car parts from my scrapbox.

7 comments: