I was keen to see what the loco I had chosen for the community garden layout looked like in the paint scheme I had in mind. For reference, I started with a green MiniTrains Schöma diesel locomotive.
The fictional story behind the new look is that the loco started life as a diesel, but was later converted to run as a pure EV machine with rechargeable batteries onboard powering an electric motor. Keep in mind that just as our miniature diesel locomotives aren't powered by diesel engines, and our steam locomotives don't burn coal to produce steam, this little loco is as phoney as those others and gets its power from the rails.
![]() |
| At the charging station being 'recharged' |
Before painting I clipped off the exhaust stack and sanded the body smooth around where it used to be. I wasn't able to pry the chassis out of the body, so I risked it and simply masked off the windows and chassis prior to painting. The body was sprayed with Vallejo Model Air white primer, and then white paint.
That red and orange plug icon is the old mid-century logo of Ontario Hydro created in 1962 by Allan Fleming, who also designed the classic CN logo. Those icons are decals I made on the computer and printed out. They're a bit rough, but I think they fit into the overall look of the layout.




No comments:
Post a Comment