Friday, July 17, 2026

Return of the Happy Minimum Test

From left to right: 6", 5" (the HO equivalent of the tightest TTC curve), and 7" radius curves.

I'm having some trouble settling on a design for my Taronna layout. There are numerous problems. One significant one is figuring out what the minimum radius curve I can use that will not cause a problem for streetcars, and be reminiscent of the older, tighter curves in the TTC streetcar system.

I decided to revisit some tests I did back in 2017, but this time with an eye to making vehicle modifications, if possible, to allow tighter curves to be traversed.

Test results to follow, but until then this little video will give you an idea about what's bouncing around in my mind - I remember this well:

4 comments:

  1. Those design curves are more pleasing on the eye, than today's cars.
    I did have to resort to AI as I was unaware of the extra 2½" (almost) in gauge. Most noticable in the video.
    Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The PCC is my favourite streetcar. I believe the last one didn't go out of service on the TTC until the early 90s. I think Toronto has its own gauge, naturally enough, called Toronto Gauge.

      Delete
  2. Oh the gas guzzlers in that video! I appreciated the return/balloon loop seen near the end of the video. Curious to learn the results of your testing.

    ReplyDelete