![]() |
| Ron Tarjany's instructions for building simple sheds in Railroad Modeler, Dec '74 That's my community garden shed below the template for his HO-scale shed. |
I was browsing the 1974 issues of Railroad Modeler and came across this Penny Model feature on building Railroad Storage Sheds in the December issue. You may recall I wrote about the Penny Model feature back in 2020. This 10 instalment feature that ran from '74 to '77 dealt with how make a variety of buildings from simple, low cost materials. This one on railroad storage sheds reminded me of the Back to Basics Railway Modelling Challenge and my attempt to build a little garden shed using methods similar to the ones shown in this article.
Mr. Tarjany explains how to build little sheds using the walls-folded-up-from-a-continuous-piece-of-card method, but instead of using the card's outer surface to directly apply exterior wall treatments, he glues on overlays of wood or corrugated metal. The card roofs also have overlays glued on. This allows him to use "index file cardstock", which looks like standard, thin 3x5 file card in the above photo. In my community garden shed build I only used 3x5 card for trim.
File this article under: Everything Old is New Again.


Great article. It is about time that this type of construction is mentioned. I have been using simple materials for my structures for sometime. Thanks for inspiration for a few more.
ReplyDeleteThanks! Over the years I've tried my hand at this type of model making, and variations on it. Here are some posts:
DeleteCaleb’s Cabbage Co:
https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2014/01/e-l-moores-legacy-in-21th-century_18.html
Repurposed Firehouse:
https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2025/02/bristol-board-and-card-and-paper-and.html
Mt. Lowe Observatory:
https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2016/03/mt-lowe-observatorys-telescope-room.html