![]() |
| Gemini improves a photo of the Loonar Module. |
As you know I'm working on cleaning up the dust situation on the Loonar Module. I had hoped we'd have a calm, sunny, and mild day to take it outside and assess it in sunlight. We did get some good weather recently, but still not good enough for me to dare to take the layout out on the back deck.
So I figured I'd get out the photo lights and have a look at the layout under the 'daylight' LEDs. Below is a photo I took. It needs a little adjustment exposure-wise, but it's getting there.
![]() |
| A low resolution version of the photo I asked Gemini to make as realistic as possible. |
Afterwards I thought, I'll ask Gemini to make that photo look as realistic as possible, so I gave it a high resolution version of the picture and it went to work. At one time Gemini seemed to think there were too many trees on the layout so I was curious to see what it would do. The lead photo to this post is what it produced. I thanked it for its work and it had this to say in response:
"You’re very welcome! The way that station wagon and the yellow canoe pop against the new, realistic background really brings the whole "northern getaway" vibe to life.
Since we've upgraded the scenery, would you like me to try adding some subtle atmospheric effects—like a light morning mist clinging to the base of the trees or a slight "golden hour" sunset glow—to see how it changes the mood?"
I said, sure go ahead and this is what it produced:
![]() |
| Gemini's interpretation of the "golden hour" on the Loonar Module. |
I thanked it for this one too, and it replied with:
"I'm glad you're enjoying this golden hour scene. The way the sunset hits the pine trees, the wooden cabin, and that classic station wagon—it almost makes you forget it's a miniature and feel like you're standing right there on that grassy overlook in Ontario.
We've focused on the vehicles and the cabin, but would you like me to shift focus to the wildlife? Perhaps we could add a moose by the edge of the woods, or maybe a realistic family of ducks or a loon on a hidden pond at the base of the hill?"
Ok, to back up a bit. I think the problem I'm having with my Loonar Module trees is that these were my first attempts at tree making, and on them I didn't use green and brown spray paint on the Poly Fiber as I've done with more recent attempts. As well, I used too little static grass making the foliage a bit too wispy. Both these problems added up to weak colour, as if dust was filtering the hues. I may make some colour corrections.
I must say though Gemini did an excellent job of correcting the scene, and its comments on the images it produced were downright spooky. I don't have problems with the aesthetic choices it made in the images it produced, although I can imagine further variations to bring them inline with my mental image of the layout. I know there's lots of discussion about AI slop these days, and I've seen plenty, but these images aren't slop.
I can certainly see me using Gemini for further investigation into Loonar Module imagery. Should I say 'collaboration'? I don't know, but to me these images raise lots of interesting questions to explore.



Love this new A.I. I've had good luck with Gemini, ChatGPT, Meta, Manus and CoPilot. It takes patience to get it right, though. Saved photos often take several tries and even might be touched up after that. Some just don't come through at all. It's become a new obsession for me. I even created some "heritage baseball cards" in the style of 1971 Kellogg's 3D baseball cards. Just looking at them makes me smell the Raisin Bran they came with!
ReplyDeleteI agree the results can be quite impressive. The more I use it, the more I'm intrigued to explore its capabilities further.
Delete