![]() |
| First draft of a plot plan drawn full size. |
While I was exorcising dust and fighting winter blahs I spent some time putting together a first cut at a plot plan for the community garden micro-layout. I say plot plan and not track plan since the track's route isn't that complicated; however, given the small layout size, managing to incorporate the various scenic elements I have in mind could be a little tricky. I don't want to overwhelm the little scene with too much detail, yet I need to capture the essence of what I want to communicate. Shown in the lead photo is my first cut at an overall plan.
![]() |
| The Minitrains Schöma loco and a flat car for gardening supplies and people I started building |
Last year when I got the idea for a community garden micro I decided early on what sort of loco I wanted and bought one: a Minitrains Schöma.
I have a plan for it. I'm going to remove the exhaust stack and any other markers of it being diesel powered and restyle it to suggest it has been overhauled to be powered completely by an electric motor and onboard batteries, like electric cars and trucks. That spur in the track takes the loco to its charging station. I'll repaint the body white (I bought a green one because green ones were on sale :-) ), and likely add markings to suggest it's owned and operated by Hydro Ottawa.
I feel another iteration of the plot plan coming on :-) Stay tuned.


No compost bays? I had imagined a community garden railway might be put to use hauling compost, mulch, manure, etc. on low-sided gondolas or flat cars.
ReplyDeleteGood point! The city does provide a few dumps of compost during growing season, so a gondola would be put to good use. Thanks for the suggestion!
Delete