Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Rampages Big and Small

Back: 1/24 Dodge Rampage | Front: 1/64 Dodge Rampage

I thought I'd take a little break from mountain building and work on cars. The layout will have a parking lot / depot scene where people can leave their cars and change to the trolley to get to Inspiration Point. I have some specific cars in mind for the scene and was lucky over the last few months to buy what I wanted online. A couple have arrived and another is on its way.

Left: Hot Wheels Rampage straight from the package | Right: Modified

I wanted either a 1980s Plymouth Turismo or a Rampage for this scene. I couldn't find a Turismo, or its cousin the Charger, but I did find a Hot Wheels Rampage. I bought two since they were inexpensive. In the above photo you can see what it looks like straight out of its packaging. 

Transforming the toy wasn't complicated: the rivets were drilled out and it was taken apart, the paint was stripped off, the 4-wheeler was cut off, and a new bed was made from styrene and installed. It was then repainted and epoxied back together. 


Scale-wise it isn't too bad. It looks ok next to the 6' tall, 1/64 scale figure. It might be a little on the small side, but it visually fits in, which is the goal. To the left in the above photo is a Hot Wheels '71 Porsche 911 that has also undergone a repainting. Well, I'll set custom cars aside for awhile and get back to custom mountains :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment