Friday, September 13, 2024

Coming Attractions: Artz Lumber Co.

I've been wanting to build Art Curren's project Artz Lumber Co. for a long time and decided this winter is the winter of Artz.

The project needs three Atlas #750 lumberyard kits and an AHM #15303 farmhouse kit for the office. I just want to build the lumber shed so I don't need a farmhouse kit. Artz is going to be a part of a diorama along with Cal's Lumberyard, which has an office on the side. The diorama will be a project for next year. If you're going to follow along, Curren's article appeared in Model Railroader's Dec '86 issue and was reprinted in his 1988 book Kitbashing HO Model Railroad Structures. I won't be copying out the steps in my posts, just muddling along as usual. I'm curious to see how a Curren build goes as I've never done one before even though I've written a few posts about his writings.

In March I was lucky to find an old Atlas kit from the 1960s at the local model railroad swap meet - it's the kit at the top of the triangle in the photo. I'm not sure when this particular instance was manufactured, but the kit was first released in 1962. I did a little looking in Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman to see when ads for it first appeared. The earliest ad in MR appears in the Oct '62 issue, and is followed up by ones in Nov '62 (includes a small picture) and Jan '63 (includes a big picture). After that it appears with some regularity. I couldn't find any ads in RMC for either '62 or '63.

New kits are still being sold today. I acquired those two new ones in the bottom row of the photo just this week, although there was a lengthy search to find a pair at a reasonable price.

Well, I've got the kits. I'm just waiting for the snow to fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment