Tuesday, May 17, 2022

1983 Plymouth Turismo: A kitbash?

Our discussion on the 'correct' definition of kitbashing continues. I put forward for your consideration my 1983 Plymouth Turismo, a model of which I built from these two kits:

I don't know if this is a classic kitbash as the two kits used are simply variations on a single car sold by Chrysler. Regardless, I needed parts from both for this project.
This is another model I built sometime around 2005 or 2006 or so. I do recall I built it soon after the Custom Dodge Rampage.
This is the only construction photo I took during the project. The right image in the composite photo is from the car's brochure. Mine had a grey interior, hence my colour choices. The bowling ball carrying case and the hockey stick in the trunk are items from my scrap box. The retracted tonneau cover was scratchbuilt from some styrene.
Whatever Guest of the Crown stamped out that licence plate didn't get the letters and numbers lined up quite right and ...
... decided to go-for-broke on the plate's sibling. I like the fidelity to the prototype I achieved: the left taillight is cracked just like the real thing after a few years on the road.

Is this a kitbash? A kit-mingle? A kit-lance? I'd go with kit-mingle as the goal was to create as accurate a model of a prototype as I could manage, and that meant carefully combining 2 kits to achieve the 1 I wanted.

A wild advertising flyer inserted in the MPC Dodge Omni 024 donor kit

No comments:

Post a Comment