Sunday, May 8, 2022

Ramsey's Park Square: A Start

 I've had my eye on building a model of Ottawa's Park Square apartments for awhile, but I've been reluctant to dive into such a large project. I think it's because although I greatly admire its Art Deco entrance, I didn't want to tackle making the rest of the building.

What to do? What to do? Well, after staring at my prototype photos for a long time it looked like I could build the entrance and use a Ramsey Journal Building kit for the rest of the structure. I don't know if this project classifies as a kitbash since only one kit is being used. Maybe 'kitmod', for 'modified kit', is better.



Sourced from Google Street Views
Here's the prototype. It was built in 1936, and opened in 1937 with 13 apartments. It would be too large for my layout, and since all I'm interested in is the entrance, I thought it would be easier to make up a story about why a classy Art Deco entrance was attached to a dumpy little building than building the full prototype. No doubt Cousin Cal was involved somehow :-) 




Right now the facade is only about half built. The lower part of the front wall of the Ramsey Journal Building will be cut out and the Park Square facade will be inserted in the opening. I'm not sure how I'll proceed once the new facade is installed, but figuring that out is part of the fun of these sorts of projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment