Thursday, August 29, 2024

MCM-7: A New Layout Genre?

Soon after taking pictures of the Le Grand DEFI dioramas on the family room coffee table I realized several of my layouts have been inadvertently sized to fit that piece of furniture. Maybe there's a new genre of layout in there somewhere?  

The 3 Le Grand DEFI dioramas

Ever since I stumbled across Bill Baron's mid-century modern coffee table layout proposal in the June 1966 issue of Model Railroader I've had thoughts of small, portable, and convivial family room layouts rattling around in my brain. I haven't explicitly set out to design one, but in a few cases it has worked out that way.

The Centennial Experimental Farm, aka the LOL III

The Micro-Layout category has an upper footprint limit of 3 to 4 square feet. My coffee table measures approximately 50" x 20", providing an area of a little under 7 sq. ft. for a layout. That's considerably bigger than the Micro-Layout maximum. 

Havelock Yard

Hence, maybe there's a new category in there for layouts that fit on a Mid-Century Modern coffee table of 7 sq. ft. or less: MCM-7 :-) And no overhanging, that's cheating :-)

Speaking of coffee, the family room is near the coffee machine and that's where I'm headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment