Friday, August 30, 2024

Moore in Lenoir

Walthers Mid-Century Modern Freight Station

I'm a fan of mid-century modern design and was interested to find out about a new freight station kit in that style recently released by Walthers. I noticed that some online retailers mention the model is "based on the Carolina and Northwestern Railway facility located in Lenoir, North Carolina."

I did some digging and found out that Lenoir, N.C., is about an hour-and-a-half drive northwest of Charlotte, N.C., where E. L. Moore lived. In the course of doing research for a 2nd edition of the Moore eBook I was told this about E. L. Moore:

"When he was quite young he lived there [JDL: 'there' is Lenoir, N.C.] (not sure for how long) and worked as a photographer going door-to-door taking people's photos."

Right now I'm guessing about when he lived and worked in Lenoir, but based on a previous investigation on when he arrived and set up a photography business in Charlotte, I'll say maybe the late 1920s to early 1930s, prior to 1933. We'll see if I can improve that guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment