Thursday, July 29, 2021

E. L. Moore's Branch Line Station: Two scales, double the fun!

Original Rocky Ridge Station on E. L. Moore's EVRR layout
Once upon a time E. L. Moore had an HO scale layout called the Elizabeth Valley Railroad. Nestled in one corner was the Rocky Ridge Station. Let's let Mr. Moore take the story from here:

It seems that of everything I build I eventually get around to making two, and this is my second station of this type, having built my first one some ten years ago, and then in a weak moment selling it and now finding I need another.

It's that 'another', the second build, that's in the collection of E. L. Moore buildings. Mr. Moore continues:

It fits so well on a certain curve on my pike that the only change I made was that the first was built of capped siding while this one is made entirely of balsa.

So begins E. L. Moore's Branch Line Station article that appeared in the April 1964 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

This little station is another of my favourites, and since the N-scale EVRR tribute layout needed one, I had a perfect excuse for diving in and building one in N-scale. Those wires you see in the photos are from my model. Mr. Moore's makes no provision for interior lighting, unlike his first version which you see lit up in the night photo of his layout.

The model arrived more-or-less as I saw it back in 2015, although some details had come loose and had to be re-glued. As well, the chimney was cracked and the train order signal had to be unbent.






The model was easily fixed up with a little Weld Bond. If you look at the article you'll see that there were many other details in the scene like milk cans, a wagon wheel, and some barrels and furniture. None of those were present, but I suspect some eBay searching might unearth some of those accessories. 




You'll notice that the bottom step on the front platform's set of stairs is missing. I went back through the packing materials with a fine-tooth-comb as they say, but it wasn't there. The 2015 photos show it was also missing then, so I suspect it's been gone for a long time. 

But, the search was not without its rewards. I found that figure in the very bottom of the wrappings. It looks and feels like a Weston figure. I don't see him appearing in the article's photos, but E. L. Moore used a lot of Weston figures, so it'll no doubt come in handy.






This station is quite small, and even smaller in N scale. 

I had to laugh when I saw Mr. Moore's model had brown doors and yellow trim, and I used yellow doors with brown trim. I don't recall if I did that deliberately, but makes for a nice contrast.

You can also see that I need to add a train order signal. I'm quite impressed with Mr. Moore's. His is made from thin brass, and will turn in its support so you can change signals.

The size difference is quite apparent in this view.






The chimney guy wires on E. L. Moore's model are actually wire, not thread as I had mistakenly thought. Also, look at that window frame. It's quite fine and nicely proportioned.

In this view the weird little warp I have in the back corner of my model is embarrassingly clear for all to see :-(


His roof uses his standard woodburning technique for etching the shingle pattern into balsa sheets. Mine, again, uses the paper strip technique.















To wrap up, I thought I'd test place the N scale station on the layout to see how it looked. It seems about the right size. I tried powering up the station's light with a battery, but although the light lit, the battery was too weak for anything other than a dull glow. I need some new batteries, and probably a dedicated power supply for these sorts of tests.

2 comments:

  1. This comparison/review series is fascinating. I find it especially interesting that the order board moves. Seems like some modelers, especially from an earlier era, valued that option, even choosing an animated (or simply movable) element at the expense of fine-scale detailing. Could that be a carry-over from the toy-train world of operating accessories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Galen! Yes, there might have been cross-over from toy-trains now that you mention it. It's thought that ELM had a 4x6 Lionel O27 layout before the HO Elizabeth Valley RR, of which this station is a part, so he might have indeed been influenced by that older layout.

      Delete