Friday, July 30, 2021

Perry Mason and The Case of the Loopy Leaf

Last fall I dove into watching the Perry Mason tv movies that ran from 1985 to 1995. I gave up after the first 4 1/8 films, but decided to try them again. This time though I figured I'd pick movies at random instead of marching in sequence through all 30. This is proving to be a good strategy as they get better as time goes on. 

Recently I watched The Case of the Silenced Singer from 1990. It's interesting, but one anomaly leapt from the screen: it looked like there was an upside down Canadian flag flying above the entrance to a hotel where Perry was interrogating a piano player. To me it looks like the stem of the maple leaf is at the top of the flag. Given that the movie was supposed to have been filmed in Denver, it seemed odd the Canadian flag would be in the centre of the group, and upside down to boot. Maybe it's a subtle message of a Canadian in distress? Maybe a set dresser was in a hurry to make some nondescript building look like a hotel or restaurant? Or maybe I need new glasses :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment