Friday, February 5, 2021

Portrait with Train

Another photo from the family albums scanning project. Problem is I don't think that woman is family. I have no idea who she is. And to compound the problem, I have no idea where this was taken. I doubt it was in Toronto, but it could possibly be somewhere near Winnipeg, MB, or Rochester, NY, or maybe even Novato, CA - it's all guesswork though. I don't see recognizable markings or logos on the cars for possible clues. Era? Maybe the '40s or '50s?

I sometimes think photos like these - taken by amateurs where the trains are merely background - are just as important as those taken by railfans. The railfan photographer may approach the subject with certain agendas and preconceptions in mind which colours what and how they shoot. On the other hand, pictures like these where the subject is something other than the trains may capture some spontaneity in the rail scene that might not appear in a 'properly' staged and composed shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment