Monday, February 8, 2021

It's alive!

Last week some discussion here at the 30Squares World Domination HQ veered to talk of BASIC and old computers prompted by this article on BASIC's ancestor, DOPE. One thing lead to another and I mentioned that I had an old TRS-80 stashed away in the basement. 

I had to go and find it.

And I did - find it that is.

And much to my surprise that after residing in a sealed box, unopened since being entombed in 1988, and being shipped here-and-there over the years, the monitor lit up and presented me with a prompt! 

I have some programs and data on cassettes that I'm interested in seeing if they're loadable, not to mention seeing if the old thing will actually still function. More on all of this in future posts.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Good question. I don't know if anyone wants these old things.

      Delete
    2. That is amazing. Next step is Win95

      Delete
    3. One scary monster at a time :-)

      Delete
  2. I learned to code on a "Trash-80", moving a turtle around the screen to draw lines. That was in school. But my first PC at home was a Commodore 64, a real upgrade. Still have the floppies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The C64 was quite a good computer. There are probably old ones kicking around somewhere.

      Delete