Sunday, February 7, 2021

Art Metropole: Street level overlays

Pieces of 2-ply, 500-series Strathmore Bristol Board were cut and attached to layer 1 to represent different stone layers on the street level portion of the facade. It isn't an exact replication of all the stone work, but just captures the largest features. All pieces are attached with transfer tape.

Hmmm. The stone layers are a bit hard to see in the photo. The horizontal lines are block divisions that were drawn on with a pencil and then etched in with a scriber.

The sign is made from 3mm high plastic letters sold by Model Builder's Supply. They're attached to layer 1 with Weld Bond. I should note that even though they look ok, they aren't prototypical. The actual building has letters cut into the facade's blocks. I didn't know how I'd replicate that at such a small scale, so I used some letters I had on hand.

I found this work relaxing, but I can see it isn't going to be finished as quickly as I had hoped. Maybe that's a good thing. The next job is to attach layers to the middle section.

No comments:

Post a Comment