Thursday, September 19, 2019

Test run on the park turnaround

I decided to do a test run of the park streetcar turnaround before jumping in and scenicking this end of the layout. I cleaned up the track and removed some loose inserts that were causing problems before giving it a go.It doesn't run too badly, so I'll move onto some detailing. I want to get a sense that this end of the layout is going to look 'right' to me.

I'm also constantly placing buildings here-and-there on the layout and thinking about their positioning. I like to test out different arrangements. The Natural History Museum doesn't look too bad on the edge of the turnaround. 

I realized it needs a rather large open space out front as I can image people mulling around near the main entrance for various reasons, and they'd need space to wait. Maybe there needs to be some sort of sculpture or fountain and benches out there too.

I think spacing is a somewhat neglected aspect of layout and scene development. Detail and weathering seems to get most of the attention, but I think the spacing of things is more important than is commonly realized.

No comments:

Post a Comment