Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Paul B. MacCready Jr. in Aviation Adventures & Model Building?

I'm always on the look out for magazines that combine model building, comics, stories, and non-fiction. Aviation Adventures & Model Building certainly fits the bill. I recently stumbled across a couple of issues over at Comic Book+.

In this genre it's fascinating stuff, and I recommend you take a look.






In the December 1946 issue, on page 10, they had this photo, and the caption read: Paul B. MacReady, Jr., youngest entrant on the Soaring Meet at Elmira, N. Y., this year, is a former model builder. Paul held many national model plane records for his unusual helicopter, ornithopter models. (Press Assoc.). I'm thinking Paul B. MacReady, Jr., was actually a misspelling of Paul B. MacCready Jr. of Gossamer Albatross fame.


The Gossamer Albatross, and Morton Grosser's book Gossamer Odyssey: The Triumph of Human-Powered Flight, played a key role in developing my thinking - right up there with E. L. Moore's works - so I was pleasantly surprised to see Paul MacCready's name pop up quite out-of-the-blue. Hopefully there are more pleasant surprises awaiting me on the this comics-modelling journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment