Friday, September 27, 2019

By bicycle to Hurdman, Tremblay, and Lees stations

Ottawa has an extensive network of bike paths. I had read somewhere that a number of the paths - maybe all of them - connect up with OTrain stations. Seeing how it was a beautiful day in the neighbourhood today I decided to get out my bike and ride over to a few stations via the bike path.







Today was one of those rare September days: temperatures in the high teens, sunny, very little wind. A great day for riding.












On my way to Hurdman I left the bike path and bushwhacked to some higher ground so I could get this overall view of the station. Ground level is where the buses converge. 





Up in the wild grass there were lots of Monarch butterflies. I'm hearing they're getting ready for their annual migration back to Mexico for the winter.


This is Hurdman station as seen from just off the bike path. 

One unusual feature of this station is that angle structure - it looks like an upside-down L - over on the far right end.



That upside-down L is an open air cover for the staircase that goes from the bus level to the train platform. I wonder how much protection that is going to provide in the winter. 











I did a little more bushwhacking to get this photo of a train on its way from Hurdman to Tremblay.








A little more waiting in the tall grass and I snapped this train coming into Hurdman from Tremblay. Apparently I'm a train-spotter now :-)



From Hurdman I continued along the bike path to Tremblay station. That's the back end of the station, and that train is on its way to Hurdman.










Next station: Lees. As you can see, the bike path is very close to the tracks as you cross the bridge over the Rideau river to Lees station.













And there it is: Lees station, just across the road from the end of the bike path.







So, ok, bicycling to three of the stations is possible, easy, and can be quite pleasant on a beautiful day. You can park your bike at a station, or take it on the train with you. I'll have to try taking it with me to get to some more distant section of the bike path.






2 comments:

  1. I really like the shot of the tram seen through the fence at Lees station. Great lines all heading into a vanishing point (slightly off-center - I'm not criticizing) and the contrast between the light concrete path, the blue sky and the dark fence partially hiding the train keep the eye moving around the image. Nice. You are fortunate to live in a place with such great travel options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Galen. I must admit to using the new Confederation line as if it were a train set received on Christmas morning :-)

      Delete