Saturday, September 28, 2019

From Pimisi to the IPMS show at the Canadian War Museum

Pimisi Station as seen from the roof of the Canadian War Museum
I think one of the measures of success for a light rail system is whether it can change people's behaviours about how they choose to get around in a city. Commuters are usually the main target, and maybe the easiest, as they often don't have a choice. Discretionary travel is another story. Several friends have told me they won't ever use the OTrain to get downtown, or anywhere else. They'll use their car no matter what. I think I'm in some sort of middle ground. I don't like navigating snarled-up city traffic, or looking for a parking spot. If I can take the train somewhere, I will, but if there's something unusual about the trip, like I have a lot of stuff to schlep, or people to transport, I'd use my car. If it's just me going somewhere, I'll take the train if it's going my way. I think part of it is nostalgia, not to mention laziness about not dealing with the hassle of a car just to move me around. The nostalgia bit is from all those years I lived in Toronto. The TTC was how I got around, especially on the subway. So, maybe early exposure as a boy, along with good memories of freedom, have predisposed me to using the train.  

Half of Pimisi station
I found out the local IPMS chapter was holding their 2019 contest and show, CapCon 2019, at the Canadian War Museum, and with the Pimisi station on the Confederation Line just a 5 or 6 minute walk away, I decided to take the train to see the show, museum and station. I hadn't been to one of these shows in well over ten years, so I was curious to see what, if anything, was new.

From the other posts in this series you may think Ottawa is perpetually sunny; let me disabuse you of that perception :-) It was mild this morning, but there was a steady rain, so these pictures are going to look a little wet and grey. 

Ignoring the bike lane
If you read yesterday's post about bicycle access to the stations, you may be interested to learn there is a dedicated bike lane at Pimisi too. But, unfortunately, if you look closely at the photo, that bicyclist has decided not to use it and take his chances in traffic. 








Setting up the model show
The Canadian War Museum is a difficult building to photograph, but it's a fascinating structure, and no doubt there are great photos to be found online that will give you a general sense of the place. Scale models are also difficult to photograph - well, difficult for me - so I'm not posting any. The show was set up, surrounded by the museum's tank collection, on standard issue conference tables draped with white sheets. I understand why such tables are used, but I don't think they show the models, and all the skillful work that has gone into them, to best advantage. 


The Taking of Vimy Ridge, Easter Monday 1917 by Richard Jack

The corridor leading to the show has a sobering display of several large war paintings. They alone were worth the price of admission.











M3A1 Stuart Tank
I had a look at the tanks before leaving the show. I know nothing about tanks, although I did recognize the little Stuart tank from DC's Haunted Tank series. I was surprised at how small it is.












Peace Tower from the roof of the Canadian War Museum
I was surprised to learn the war museum has a partial grass roof. The building incorporates a ramp up to the roof, and you're free to go up and have a look at the views. Unlike yesterday where I had to thrash my way through tall wild plants, here was a pleasant stroll to a grassy overlook. The dead centre gothic spire with the flag on top is the Peace Tower at the Parliament buildings.




Ok, just to wrap up I'll contradict myself - it won't be the first time :-) - and end with a partial photo of the museum. No doubt I'll make another trip out there to view the museum's displays in more detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment