![]() |
| A freelanced weed sprayer by George P. Landlow, Railroad Modeler Sept. '75 |
I continue to read my way through Railroad Modeler of 1975. In the September issue I came across an article by George P. Landow called Homebuilt Weed Sprayer. In it Mr. Landow presents a background story to this fictional, freelanced car in a style highly reminiscent of E. L. Moore, and then proceeds to describe how to scratchbuild this handsome piece of 1881 vintage Maintenance-of-Way equipment.
I had a flashback - well, maybe it was a flashforward in this case :-) - while reading the article as I was reminded of this one....
![]() |
| City of Toronto Archive photo of a homebrew TTC weed sprayer car headlines an article by Vince Pugliese, with drawings by Ken Lawrence; Railroad Model Craftsman, Apr. 2012 |
... by 30Squares' head of research and all things technical and scientific, Vince. It's an in depth account of a home-built (aka freelanced) weed sprayer car built by the TTC in 1928, and an associated Baldwin-Westinghouse steeplecab used by the TTC to move this car around. The story is accompanied by an excellent set of drawings by Ken Lawrence so scratchbuilders could make either vehicle for themselves.
Articles about freelanced rolling stock still seem to be a thing in RM in '75 as it was in '74. I need to compile a list. Stay tuned!


A weed sprayer seems like an ideal candidate for a freelanced scratch-bash. I think the Ocali Creek needs one. And say...Vince isn't related to Al Pugliese who makes the YouTube videos, is he?
ReplyDeleteI think the answer is a solid no.
Deletewhat happens if the weed sprayer car gets mixed up with the Heinz 57 pickle car?
ReplyDeleteWell, someone would definitely be in a pickle :-)
Delete