![]() |
| One of the backdrops hanging from the curtain rod support ready for a photo shoot. |
I've been working on painting two backdrops to be used when shooting Mt. Lowe layout glamour shots. They're fairly big things: 30" x 40" illustration boards painted with artist's acrylics.
I haven't done these sorts of paintings before and was a little reticent about getting started. At first I thought maybe I should get a couple enlargements made of photos I took on the Mt. Lowe trail to use as backdrops, but gave up on that because they wouldn't look right. They'd be 'photo realistic' and the layout would be 'craft realistic'. The two forms of realism wouldn't go together.
I finally realized that even if my backdrop paintings were rough-and-ready things it didn't matter too much because in any given photo not much of the background would be visible. There'd just be hints of sky and distant mountains. Once I realized this I didn't have any problem diving in and having a go.
![]() |
| The second backdrop. |
The skies are just loose mixes of Liquitex cobalt blue and titanium white acrylic tube paints. For the mountain profiles I first troweled on some Golden brand Fiber Paste to give them some texture as I didn't think I could create convincing textures with paint alone. Once the paste was hardened I painted on colours I used on the layout's mountains. When that was dry I applied some thin washes of cobalt blue to create a little aerial perspective.
![]() |
| Backdrop painting E. L. Moore used for his Canal Boats article. |
This work on backdrops got me thinking about the backdrop work E. L. Moore did for his photo setups, especially the one I think he used for his unpublished Canal Boats article. I still don't know if he painted this one or any of the others he used over the years. I wouldn't be surprised if he did, but I don't have any supporting evidence.
![]() |
| A Gemini colourization of the Canal Boats backdrop painting. |




I like your new usage of AI to modify photos. Consider using a photo background and tell AI to simplify it so it looks more like a painted work. Some photo editors already have this capability, but AI might make it even faster and more convincing. I think it would be interesting to see more EL Moore photos colorized and maybe made more photo realistic. Or at least colorized. Notice on EL Moore‘s backdrop his cloud work looks 3-D and not just impressionistic and he’s got enough contrast in his colors to show up in his black-and-white photography.
ReplyDeleteI agree it would be quite interesting to take what we now know of ELM's use of colour in his models and use that information to produce colour images of the black and white photos he shot. In some ways it would bring new life to his old articles.
DeleteAlso, after looking at the b&w painting it looks like maybe it was to have been a painting of sunrise or sunset given the rather bright white area in the notch where the mountains come together. I may ask Gemini to reprocess the colour image as if it were a sunrise or sunset shot.