Let's cut to the chase: there's no way I could have built this model according to the article when I was twelve. Twelve year old me was right not to attempt to cut the roof off. I would have mangled the kit, and that would have been that. I didn't have any money to buy a second one, so I would have been mighty disappointed.
I've learned similar lessons with other projects I wanted to do as a kid, but never did. Moon Scope Variation #3, Gran Turismo, and Cal's Lumberyard come to mind.
Removing the roof was a lengthy process of carefully using a razor saw, sprue cutters, knife, Dremel barrel sander, as well as several grades of sanding blocks, sticks and papers to get to the final shape. Even with all that care I nearly botched the job over the window frame on the driver's side. It's a little on the thin side, but noticeable only if one looks hard. Twelve year old me had neither the tools nor the patience for that job.
What's next? I don't know. Stay tuned!
Digressions:
The song The First Cut is the Deepest has been covered by a lot of artists over the years, but my favourite is Keith Hampshire's. It hit #1 here in May 1973, so it's period correct for this model building era :-)


No comments:
Post a Comment