Tuesday, October 28, 2025

The old bank on Bank houses a new business

The prototype of this old bank model that I started in October and November 2017 and finished in February and March 2019 (!) has a new business in it. 

You may recall that the photos I shot and built the model from were taken in July 2016 when the building was up for sale.

July 2016

It's quite a deep building even though the facade it presents to the street is rather compact.

July 2016
It's so long that I had to do some serious compression on the model so it wouldn't overpower the layout I was building at the time and fit into the overall scene.

In 2017 the building housed a furniture store.

September 2017

The building is now home to the Sofia Vintage Motor Café. I heard they were having some sort of showcase preview event there last Sunday, so I walked over. I also learned that the concept of the place would be vintage, with a vintage car or two inside while one drinks one's coffee. So, coffee and vintage cars, I couldn't resist.

It's now the Sofia Vintage Motor Café

While I was walking there I noticed an unusual number of Porsche 911s converging in-and-around the area. When I got there I saw why: many, many high-end cars were parked nearby and on display. Obviously the word had gone out; the place was mobbed. There was a line-up to get in and get coffee and hob-nob. I don't have the patience to stand in lines at the best of times so I took a pass and will visit again during a regular weekday. I'm very interested in seeing the interior and sampling the coffee!

That deep side has plenty of room to show off cars!

I'm glad to see the old bank is being used for a new business and I wish them well. 


In the spirit of this new business, if I ever stage another layout car show I'll be sure to include this little old bank.

2 comments:

  1. Nice model but watch for those under-building cracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I read somewhere a long time ago some Brits referred to that crack problem as 'The Porta-Cabin Problem' as it reminded them of one of those portable outhouses used on construction sites and festivals. As you can see I have not solved my personal porta-cabin problem :-)

      Delete