Wednesday, October 8, 2025

27 Trees

Layout cranked up to nearly the ceiling.

When I work on my little layouts I do so at a standing desk that I've put on wheels, equipped with a 2' x 4' hardboard top, and has a crank so I can move that surface up and down. It comes in quite handy when it's time to add scenery as I can crank the top surface up and down as well as turn the whole thing to various angles since it's on wheels. This allows me to get a variety of views while I'm adding things.

Over the last few weeks I've been adding trees to fill out the scenes. There're 27 in total. Funny thing is back in May I thought I had made too many trees! Turns out I was right and wrong. I had a few too many tall ones and not enough small ones, so I had to make some little trees to balance out the scenes.

The other side.

These days I'm adding rock debris and shrubbery. At one time I thought I would put in the effort to accurately replicate chaparral found in the region, but I've given up on that and decided to keep with the more simplified and somewhat abstract look I've started with the trees. I'm focusing on size, placement, and colour instead of fidelity to 'prototype'. 

Adding shrubs and other foliage is taking a surprisingly long time. Ok, I'm the problem because as usual my method is to add a bit, have a look, add a little more, take a break, look again, and so on - my standard operating procedure on this layout. So, you can see why it's a long process :-)

2 comments: