Saturday, December 5, 2020

Overhead wire poles for upper Ocean Blvd

The last few days I've been working on adding poles for overhead wiring along the upper part of Ocean Boulevard. As this part of the layout is only one small module I decided to disconnect it from the other Ocean Blvd modules and work on it on the 'layout' table. In the workshop I use 2 adjustable standing desks with 2'x4'x1/2" composite tops attached to them as my work areas. They're back-to-back with one being used for the usual model making work, and the second - that has the module on it - for layout work associated with large projects. They're also on wheels, as is the layout, so they can be moved to wherever they're needed. 

I used the same technique for building the overhead wiring support poles as I did for the lower section of Ocean Boulevard. One thing that is a little different is that the light assemblies came from Model Power highway light standard set #476 (the ones with 2 lights per light standard) instead of #475 (which have 1 light per light standard). I only had 5 pieces from the #475 sets left; not enough to make all the new poles, so I went to some hobby stores to see if I could find any. Luckily, even though both sets have been out-of-production for many years, I found some #476s. Turns out a #476 double light standard set has 4 individual lamps, and a #475 has only 3 single light standards, and hence only 3 individual lamps. And with the #476 sets costing $2 less, this was a bargain! Luckily I had some luck :-)

Once all the poles were installed in the sidewalks, the module was stood on end so I could begin installing a lighting bus and attaching all the lights. Those wires you see there are for track power.



No comments:

Post a Comment