Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Pyramid power

It took a bit of doing, but the decorative pyramid roof is done.







There are 9 little pyramids, and each was cut from a piece of acid-free 3x5 card.

I drew a template for a pyramid side using what I could remember of high school geometry, and used it to lay out a pyramid such that, when cut out, it could be folded and glued into the final shape. As well, holes were punched into two sides to accept a pair of those thin verticals from the window wall. Turns out I screwed up punching those holes on the first batch and had to make a second set with correctly placed holes. Yes, I can hear some of you saying, an automated paper cutter would have done this job in a flash. Indeed.

But, after all that, here's the roof before installation. The pyramids are held on to the substrate with combination of transfer tape and Weld Bond.






It took a couple of attempts, but eventually, with enough careful prodding and persuading, as well as a little hole adjustment, all those verticals fit into the corresponding roof holes. Glue was applied to the tops of the white posts to hold them to the roof substrate. Once everything was in place, I put my ancient steel level on top to hold the whole thing together while the glued dried. 

Up next: signs, plants, and some little details.

2 comments:

  1. You won't hear me lamenting your lack of techno-toys for model building. They have their place but sometimes an Xacto and a steel rule serve just as well and end up taking less time than CAD and a cricut cutter.

    I will express my sigh of relief to open this entry and see model progress photos, not you akimbo within a frame of copper pipe and crystals. Pyramid power indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My primary tools are decidedly old school. I can see some uses for a paper cutter, but I'm still on the fence.

      Delete