Sunday, December 6, 2020

Steinberg's return

With the lower Ocean Blvd module back on the layout, I've moved the parts for the Steinberg supermarket back to the layout table.

So far I've glued finish papers to the basic structure (a little hard to see in the photo I must admit), attached the main support columns to the glass front (which is a piece of 0.010" clear plastic), and have started on the decorative roof that rests on those columns (it's that long cardboard piece at the bottom of the photo). That roof is an iconic mid-20th century design with its upside-down pyramids at the top of the columns. I did a bit of experimenting to figure out how to make those pyramids. In the end I figured they'll each be folded from a suitably drawn cardboard template.

I had hopes that I could build this model in a week or two of spare time. I've failed on that one already :-) One of my impossible model building related resolutions for the new year will be to figure out how I can build model buildings much faster than is my custom. I have a lot I want to build, and improved speed would be great.

2 comments:

  1. On building faster - I think your next post hints at a solution you are already embracing - choosing a focal point on which to devote time and energy and letting go of the rest as secondary. I have trouble with this as well, wanting to detail to the nines in places that won't be seen by anyone but me (and maybe blog readers). And I suppose on one special structure that's fine by me. But if I want to populate the rest of my current pike with as many structures as I have planned and achieve that in the next year or two, I'll have to make some compromises and take some well planned shortcuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. For many of the structures I have in mind, their facades are the main attraction - that's what made them stand out in my mind and in Toronto. Although, I have a couple of 'skyscrapers' in mind, that are more than just facades, and maybe for them it'll be an overall simplification to shape and surface texture.

      Delete