Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Trees and poles along Ocean Boulevard

I still have this hope that I can have the layout in some sort of reasonable shape by Christmas, so I thought I'd go ahead and make the streetcar power line poles for Ocean Boulevard. The test fit I did last week looked ok, so I cranked up the assembly line to make 4 more pairs of pole suspension units.

You can see 4 new poles here, and there are 4 more off camera. I also extended the length of the unit I had already made by bonding extra lengths of 1/8" styrene tube to the bottoms with liquid plastic welder - that's the unit over there in the jig. The poles are surprisingly strong with the little extensions welded to their bottoms.

I also did some test planting of the trees along the north side of Ocean Boulevard. The actual World's Biggest Bookstore did face such a tree-lined street, so that's more-or-less prototypical, but no streetcar ran along the street. That aspect is fictional, but it's all part of the selective compression my memories are being put to in this little layout :-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment