Sunday, October 18, 2020

Steinberg Stylized

I've been thinking about Toronto's mid-century grocery stores, and the one that figures most predominately in my mind is the Steinberg at Cedarbrae Mall in Scarborough. It's where my parents did our grocery shopping on Friday evenings, and although long gone, its elegant shape lives on in my memory.

No, no streetcar ever stopped at this place. It was a purely automobile oriented suburban mall, but that facade could easily front a long street serviced by streetcars like Ocean Boulevard on my layout.


The only pictures I could find on the internet were these two. Fifty years ago I never thought one day I'd be contemplating an HO scale model, so I don't have any photos of my own :-) I don't recall the iconography on the leftmost black-and-white image, but I do recall that in the colour image.

I spent a long time studying those pictures, and then did some drawings of an approximation of the facade. Of the two in the top image, the lower one is a little too compressed, which makes the building a little too stubby. The top one seems to capture the overall shape a bit better. Although, it'll be a long model at 535mm. I want to see if I can build this thing fast, and not my usual weeks that stretch into months.

No comments:

Post a Comment