Thursday, October 29, 2020

Pola's American Designer Series

I was quite surprised to see this Pola ad in the November 1982 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman

It starts off by stating: Pola manufactures over 200 HO & N structure kits. Many of these are American designs originally published in MRR (their acronym for Model Railroader) and RMC. We are re-issuing these on a limited basis, at special prices. 

Amongst the pictures it notes that the coal mine in the upper left is a Jack Work design from a 1959 issue of Model Railroader, although it doesn't say which issue. And in the lower left there is the good old Grusom Casket Co. from an E. L. Moore design in Railroad Model Craftsman. It doesn't say who designed that coaling station in the lower right, but the overall implication is that it came from somewhere in the pages of MR or RMC. I wonder if these were released in special American Designer Series boxes, or if there are any further ads with more about this series? An interesting twist. The search continues :-)

[30 October 2020 update: Vince informs me, and I confirm, that the Jack Work coal mine article was actually a 3-parter that appeared in the Oct, Nov, and Dec '59 issues of MR. And, the same ad also appeared in the Nov. '82 issue of MR.]

4 comments:

  1. 'Special Prices'? How inflation had taken hold in the time between the original AHM release of Grusom Casket, the boxing I have is marked at $3.98.
    $16.00 rise in 10 or 12 years - what was the 'normal' price in 1982?
    Great spotting!
    Good that the designers were credited.
    I must seek out my few old magazines from this side of the pond. Sadly I was persuaded to dispose of my 60s to 80's editions some years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I recall price-wise of that period is that inflation was quite bad. I'll have to check some previous ads to see if I can find the earlier price.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to know the origins of the coaling station, lower right. Prototype, if possible. I never owned that kit, but I loved the pictures. I had the Jack Work-based kit and got it to white-plaster-scenery stage, never further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should do a little search and see if I can place it. Maybe it was released around the same time as the coal mine as part of a 'set'.

      Delete