Monday, January 13, 2020

Work continues on modifying the layout table

I was working on the layout table when I heard a familiar guitar twang and called over to Cal, "Can you turn it up?"

My pappy said, "Son, you're gonna' drive me to drinkin'

If you don't stop drivin' that Hot Rod Birney!"

Cal put down his paper, reached for the radio's volume knob and gave it a twist.


Have you heard this story of the hot rod race?
When PCCs and Birneys was settin' the pace
That story is true, I'm here to say
I was drivin' that Safety Car

It's got GE motors and it's really souped up
That single truck body makes it look like a pup
It's got twin grid resistors, uses them all
It's got overdrive, just won't stall

With a K-63 controller and single wire contact
With copper armature coils you can really get lost
It's got safety brakes, but I ain't scared
The wheels are good, breakers fair

Pulled out of San Pedro late one night
The moon and the stars was shinin' bright
We was rollin' up Grapevine Hill
Passing streetcars like they was standing still

All of a sudden in a wink of an eye
A PCC passed us by
I said, "Boys, that's a mark for me!"
By then its taillight was all you could see

Now the fellas was ribbin' me for bein' behind
So I thought I'd make the Birney unwind
Put both hands on the crank and man alive
I shoved it on down into overdrive

Wound it up to a hundred-and-ten
My speedometer said that I hit top end
My hands were glued like lead to the grip
That's all there is and there ain't no more

Now the boys all thought I'd lost my sense
And telephone poles looked like a picket fence
They said, "Slow down! I see spots!
The lines on the road just look like dots"

Took a corner; sideswiped a tram
Crossed my fingers just for luck
My fenders was clickin' the guardrail posts
The guy beside me was white as a ghost

Sparks was comin' from off of the wire
When I started to gain on that PCC
Knew I could catch him, I thought I could pass
Don't you know by then we'd be low on sand

We had flames comin' from off of the rails
Feel the tension. Man! What a ride!
I said, "Look out, boys, I've got a license to fly!"
And that PCC pulled over and let us by

Now all of a sudden she started to knockin'
And down in the truck she started to rockin'
I looked in my mirror; a red light was blinkin'
The cops was after my Hot Rod Birney!

They arrested me and they put me in jail
And called my pappy to throw my bail
And he said, "Son, you're gonna' drive me to drinkin'
If you don't stop drivin' that Hot Rod Birney!" *



*You're right, rhyming is not my forte, so apologies to the great Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen. 

4 comments:

  1. Table is looking good. And love the alternative universe Birney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! For awhile I was thinking of scrapping the old table as it was originally built for a layout that could be rotated to vertical when it wasn't in use. But, as there wasn't anything actually wrong with it, and it's given good service, I figured that with a few modifications it could continue. So far so good. The layout panels lift off, as does the ladder frame they sit on, so they can be taken upstairs at Christmas for showing off.

      Delete
  2. Every time I consider scrapping my Timesaver I just can't. As you say, there's nothing really wrong with it (though there are things I'd do differently if I built it today), it gave me many years of fun (though it sits forlornly neglected today) and with a few modifications it should give many more years of service when the time comes to revisit and maybe re-theme it. A man can dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see any point in junking things that are still working and giving useful service.

      Delete