Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Hartley Tower drawing

Chicago isn't Toronto and Toronto isn't Chicago, but in my mind I wouldn't be surprised to get on the subway somewhere in Toronto and get off at 430 North Michigan Avenue in Chicago, which is where Bob Hartley had his office on The Bob Newhart Show. 

In the '70s The Bob Newhart Show was my favourite comedy. Still is. So, any layout of mine that includes '60s and '70s office towers must include Bob's. I figured if I was drawing up office towers, I might as well work on Bob's since I was in the groove.

Ok, the drawing isn't an exact replica, just something that captures the facade's main features seen on the show and adheres to the layout's selective compression guidelines. You can see the super-tall ground level needs detailing (and maybe some re-sizing and re-proportioning), so I may freelance something if I can't find more information.

Ideally I'd like this model to include one floor that has Bob and Jerry's reception area, and Bob's office complete with couch (couches seem to be a thing on the show). I'm not sure how all that will be viewable, but figuring it out is part of the fun :-)


That's Bob and Jerry's reception area as it appeared in the January 26, 1974 episode, Clink Shink.

2 comments:

  1. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g35805-i32-k3124620-Crazy_Question_Where_Was_Bob_Newhart_s_Office-Chicago_Illinois.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If I ever visit Chicago again, I'll have to drop by and see it.

      Delete