Saturday, January 4, 2020

Sam the Record Man's Weather Beacon

I was digging through the family history archives today and found this 45 wrapper from Sam the Record Man. I recall when you bought a 45 there, they heat sealed it in one of these plastic sleeves to indicate that you've paid for it, and to prevent you from slipping another unpaid record inside on your way out.

What got my attention though is the picture of the old Sam's facade on the Yonge St flagship store in the wrapper's bottom right - this sign predates his famous spinning record facade. The caption below it states:

Watch Sam's Weather Beacon for latest forecasts. Green - clear; Red - cloudy; Flashing Red - rain; Flashing White - snow; Running up - warm; Running down - cooler ; Steady - no change. 

That would make for one interesting model sign. I need to find some more information.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely! With the LED color changing technology, it seems feasible, possibly even easy. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to up my electronics game before having a go at that one, but it sounds like it'll be worth it.

      Delete