Saturday, October 26, 2019

Standing desk for hobby bench

Over the last few months I've been looking for some sort of desk frame that could be adjusted to either a standing or sitting position to replace my workshop hobby bench. I've found the 45" height of my layout to be quite comfortable to work at, and thought an adjustable standing desk might also be good for general hobby work.

In the end I bought an adjustable desk frame from Lee Valley (catalog item 00580.37) and attached a recycled 2'x4'x1/2" pressboard top. The frame has a manual hand crank that allows the top to be lowered to a sitting position, or raised up a standing position that's well above the top of my layout.

I also replaced the frame's stock foot pads with locking casters (Lee Valley item 00K27.40) so the table can be rolled around to wherever it's needed. The casters are probably not rugged enough for general workshop use, but the frame is well within their load carrying capacity. For lightweight model building work these casters are fine, but I wouldn't sit or stand on this desk, or subject it to hard use.

One benefit I see is it should make working on the Elizabeth Valley RR somewhat easier as I've had a problem with finding a good stand for it while I'm fiddling with it. Now I can crank the desk up to full standing position and work on it with the same ease as the OPL.

1 comment: