Saturday, October 5, 2019

Pencil me in for next Tuesday

I was doing some layout work on the layout and needed a pencil. But gosh darn it all, I couldn't find one anywhere in the workshop. In frustration I looked in my father's old tool tray I have stuffed away on a shelf. Dad came to the rescue, and there was a stash of pencils right where he left them.

I only mention them here because a few are embossed with old Toronto names that I haven't thought about in many years. And given that my layout has a Toronto influence, well, two and two and all that.

They're all kind of on the half pencil length size because when I was growing up there was something of a pencil use protocol in our house. If my father had some work to do that he had brought home from the office, the first part of any work-related task involved finding an 8 1/2 x 11 lined pad and sharpening a dozen or so pencils. Once repeated sharpening reduced a pencil to around half its length, it was transferred to a box in the workshop for use down there. That box was always near at hand, and always contained a goodly number of pencils. Once one of those was too stubby to comfortably handle, it was into the trash. As you can see, those ones in the photo are still usable given the guidelines of the ancient protocol, and hopefully will put in workmanlike service on the layout. 

What about those pens you ask? I have no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment