Friday, September 11, 2026

Inglenook Lake: Planning piece by piece

Large white arc on right is an 8" radius curve: minimum for the RDC-M.
Small white arc on left is a 3" radius cure: minimum for my HO-9 locos.

I rummaged through my track spares and salvage box looking for pieces to sketch out the Inglenook Lake track plan with track. It turned out I had no more right-hand switches, but I did have suitable left-hand ones, so I changed the handedness of the plan. It also turned out the dual gauge crossing John made for me was a 30 degree one, not a 90 as I thought. So with these two changes I went ahead and made a mockup taking into account these new twists.

Overall I thought the layout became more interesting with these somewhat random changes. I liked how the non-90 degree crossing forced a diagonal into the design and gave it some life. However, the approach to the switch on the right needs to be longer as it must accommodate a loco and a coupled car for the Inglenook game to be playable. Also, the narrow gauge curve to the siding on the left doesn't need to be so tight and could be more sweeping, to give the plan a more flowing look and create a little more space for a building or trees. 

I'm going to put the coffee on and then head down to the workshop to pick some new track pieces for the mockup. I'll leave you with AWB to set the mood:

6 comments:

  1. i'll see your Pieces and raise you a Stayin' Alive

    https://youtu.be/emgP1ULVSKo?si=iYA_nHBLPo6n_qt3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. I’ll see your Stayin’ Alive and raise you a Walk of Life.

      Delete
  2. sure! https://youtu.be/uM7HlfrqHH4?si=YhJjB8rjSS8TJOjf

    ReplyDelete