Wednesday, February 11, 2026

Desert Dodge Do-Over, Part 9: Scenes from a workbench

A day or so ago I was watching a video of a Tamyia car kit I've had my eye on for a long time being built. Every step was done very 'professionally'. The assembler wore black, skin tight gloves through every step. The cuts were made with surgical precision. Every part was airbrushed with a spotless, chrome plated, high-end airbrush under a clean room level spray hood with intricate and flawless masking. Even the 'weathering' was sprayed on with surgical precision as if no weather played any part in the matter.

In the end the model was flawless.


And characterless.


I'd like to see more liveliness; more personalization; more customization; more memories; more desire; and more heart.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I found one definition of authenticity: "the quality of being real or true". A miniature model can never be real, but it can be true, and there a lot of ways it can be true.

      Delete