Monday, January 29, 2024

An E. L. Moore inspiration?

Did this ...

After typing up yesterday's post about E. L. Moore's old-time water tank I started to wonder about his statement that he based the model on a photograph likely taken in the 1940s. Since his phrasing made it sound like he didn't take the photo himself I wondered if he got it from a book. I knew he had access to Beebe and Clegg's books Mixed Train Daily and When Beauty Rode The Rails so I decided to look through them to see if the water tank photo was in either.

I couldn't find a water tank similar to the one he modelled, but I did stumble across that picture on the left in the lead photo to this post from When Beauty Rode The Rails, which got me thinking about how it resembled the photo below from the E. L. Moore archive. Did one inspire the other? We'll likely never know. But, as Yogi Berra might have said, the similarities are very similar :-)

... inspire this?

No comments:

Post a Comment