Wednesday, January 24, 2024

E. L. Moore's smithy as Faller kit #131237

Paul recently brought to my attention the box art for Faller's packaging of E. L. Moore's village smithy kit and build - that's it in the top left corner. He mentioned he thought it was quite attractive and I have to agree. It's much better than the generic, nearly monochrome packaging used by Walthers. There was also a Pola release back in the day. It's box art seems to strike a halfway point between the other two. However, the old AHM box art still holds its own even though it shows a painting, not a model.


---
[25 January 2024 update: Paul asked that I post the full catalog shot that Faller created so you could see the full diorama:
]

5 comments:

  1. Seems like photographing a built up kit should be easier than to do a detailed painting. Other models may come with box art (planes, cars) but maybe half of them come with photos of the model on the box sides. It just seems more truthful to the purchaser to show that it could actually look decent; you know, give him some confidence... I think it's funny that some diecast cars are packaged showing the actual car through the clear packaging but as "proof" of authenticity, have a painting of the car on the card-- as if that's an accurate look of the prototype. I applaud Faller for their box photo of a well done model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine box art has gone through fads. I remember on old model airplane kits many had paintings like the Frog kits I used to buy, then I remember Monogram had built-up models on their boxes, and today it seems that Tamiya has lots of box art. As far as this barn kit is concerned, the only one I don't think has good box art is the Walthers. It looks like they just glued up the kit without painting or detailing to show what the kit could be. I can't imagine a car or airplane kit being marketed that way.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for putting up the full diorama picture. I've had that as my computer's desktop picture and it is just so pleasant to look at. They made this kit look quite good and appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I've been thinking if I painted the barn a classic barn red, it wouldn't look out of place on my Centennial Experimental Farm layout in some sort of 'historic re-enactment' role for visitors - alas, there's no room for more buildings, but there's always the next layout :-)

      Delete
    2. It won't really fit on your ELM layout but it's time to return to that one anyway. Oh wait; maybe it'll fit in a corner? Nah, you wanna stay accurate. Mine was freer and had a corner aching for something (and less EVRR info than now). I put in an ELM smithy, but the log cabin one that predated the one made into a kit.

      Delete