Sunday, January 1, 2023

A Dilly of a diorama

I finally got the lead out and finished the first diorama. This one is an homage to the industrial strip that ran along one edge of E. L. Moore's old time shortline terminal yard, featured in his article Turn Backward, O Time that appeared in the January 1967 issue of Model Railroader. If you have access to that issue you can see these models on pages 57, 62, and 64. Here we are in January 2023, 56 years later, and I'm still impressed that these little buildings are in such great shape. They let us see that Mr. Moore was a great colourist, something that readers half-a-century ago in that long gone black-and-white world never knew. That yard of his would have been a sight to see. Well, my time machine's buried under a mountain of snow, so we'll never know :-)

6 comments:

  1. This year's new MR Planning Magazine, just out, features a prominent photo of "the B. J. Scott Lumber Co" (page 46), which is an exact replica of ELM's lumber mill in your picture. 2023 is still embracing his designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! I'll have to see if I can find a copy. You know what I think about these sorts of findings: the ELM models are part of model railroadings hidden history.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to mention the layout this model is on- is modeled after Ontario. Why didn't I notice that before... I was just looking at pictures.

      Delete
    3. Ok, now I really need to find a copy of that magazine.

      Delete