Monday, January 23, 2023

Beaver and Cub

Back in 2016 I had a go at building the HO scale Piper Cub kit offered by Osborn Model Kits. I was charmed by that little model and several years later bought Osborn's DHC-2 Beaver floatplane kit for the Loonar Module. I found the Beaver to be a challenging build, but it does produce a striking model.

I recently discovered that Osborn produces a float kit for the Cub. I bought one because I'd like the Cub to appear in new Loonar Module photos when I can again take the layout outside for pictures. If the scaling on these models is accurate, the Beaver is quite large in comparison to the Cub. When I bring the Cub up to the dock, there isn't a lot of clearance between it's wing and the deck.
Although the float kit is rather simple, it was tricky to get it attached to the fuselage. I had filled the fuselage's mounting slots when I attached the landing gear, so I had to cut off the tabs on the float's legs and simply Weld Bond on the assembly to the fuselage's bottom. Also, when I built the Cub back in 2016 I didn't attach the wing properly and it had a bit of anhedral. I think the Cub has a flat wing. I snapped off the wing to flatten it, but in the end wound up giving it a bit of dihedral as I thought that gave the model a little jauntier look out on the Loonar Module's lake. 

While I wait for the Loonar Module's Tranquility Lake to unfreeze, I'll leave you with Frank.

No comments:

Post a Comment