Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Sittin' and a-Thinkin'

I'm reviewing all my reference material as I work on the manuscript. I found I had overlooked a letter Moore wrote to Hal Carstens in Jan '68 where he mentioned that a book called Sittin' and a-Thinkin', by Ernst Peterson and Glenn Chaffin, was a source of many of his outhouse models. I haven't found a reasonably priced copy yet (no, I won't pay $50US to ship one to Canada as one online seller demands), but I did find a scan of the cover online. The book's cover photo seems very close to that Moorian outhouse model you see on the left. Makes me wonder what else I'll find inside.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. I found one for USD $5.00 that had "only" a $4.50 flat rate shipping fee. If I switch the address to Winnipeg MB, the USPS rate jumps to $75.00!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't understand it. I think Minnesota and North Dakota are just below Manitoba, so it might be cheaper, even at today's gas costs, to ship there and drive down to pick it up :-)

      Delete
  2. Jim, If you have to wonder what you'll find inside an outhouse there's clearly been a gap in your education. Oh - nevermind, you meant the book! I'm with you now. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been told my grammar needs work :-) Unfortunately I do have some experience in the ways of the outhouse ....

      Delete