Thursday, July 7, 2022

Loons

What's a Loonar Module without loons? I searched high and low all over Googledom for a pair, and low and behold I finally found some 3D printed ones at Miniprints. They're quite decent, although I wonder if their beaks are a little too short. With some high power magnifying lenses I was able to paint them without problems, and they look convincing regardless of my beak fixation.

This time of year a successful breeding pair has an offspring or two nearby. You can see a juvenile loon over on the right near one of the adults. I may need to find a small HO-scale duck to stand-in for junior.

I'm feeling that the Loonar Module is just about done, and I think it has taught me all the lessons it has to teach, which was its purpose. There're just a few more details I want to add, and that'll be that.

2 comments:

  1. Those are very nice. On my N scale layout, I made some ducks by drilling a hole in the water, pushing in a wire with a hooked end to it (wire=neck, hook=head+bill), then patting a bit of putty around it (body). Some white paint and a dab of orange and.... DUCK! Okay, the bigger scales might require more detail.... With your being up front, when you swap out your HO structure for an N one, your loons can stay and reinforce the forced perspective thing you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting technique. I'm starting to wonder if that could be used to make a juvenile loon.

      Delete